Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Newest Herman??

Last spring, our house turned into a wildlife habitat.  My parents and brother came to the front door one day, and they were "greeted" by a duck.  She had just laid her eggs by our front door, and she was not happy about them intruding.  From then on, whenever I left the house to go on a walk, the mother duck would chase me down until she was satisfied that I was far enough away from her babies-to-be.

Then the bird came.  A robin built her nest on the windowsill above our front door.  From then on, we warned people to avoid our front door altogether or risk being attacked.  It was exciting to watch the baby bird hatch and learn to fly.  There were days that Scott and I would watch the nest all day because we were sure the baby bird was going to take off at any moment.  Unfortunately, we missed the day that it actually flew out of the nest.  And when it left, we realized what a mess the nest had made!  Twigs and branches hung down from the windowsill.  Mud was caked against the window.  It was such a pain to clean!

Finally, as I sat on the couch one day last summer, I noticed something moving behind the blinds.  I pulled open the blinds, and saw a hornets' nest on our back window.  I was not patient with these creatures.  I insisted that we kill them immediately and knock down the nest.

A couple of weeks ago, Scott mentioned the bird.  He said that if she came back this year, he was shooing her away because it was just such a mess to clean up the nest.  I'm very a little superstitious.  I know it's dumb, but I worry a little that Grovo died because we killed the baby hornets.  I told Scott that he could only shoo the bird away if he got to it before she laid her egg(s).  I don't want any more bad baby karma!

Taken today:


The race is on!  Will Scott make it home before the bird finishes her nest and lays her egg?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That's hilarious...the race is on!!!