So the rough week had nothing to do with worrying about the baby. It was more selfish. This was the first week that I felt fat. Up until this week, I loved my big belly. I was happy to see it getting bigger because I know that means that the baby is doing well, and that's all I really care about. It still is all I care about, and I know I'm gaining weight for a good cause. I also know it will all be worth it, but that doesn't make it hurt any less when certain comments are made. The specific comments aren't important. I'm only mentioning this because I want to document how I felt - the good and the bad - throughout this pregnancy.
To put my mind at ease, I asked my doctor about my weight when I was there yesterday. His first response was that it must not be an issue because he couldn't even remember how much I had gained. That told him that it didn't really stand out. But, he went back to my chart and looked at the specific numbers. Then he said, "no, you're perfectly fine. You are absolutely within the normal range for this stage of your pregnancy." That made me feel better!
The doctor also told me that the baby is doing well. Its heart rate is still about 141 - 145, which is what it has been for a couple of months now. He said when I go for another ultrasound at the end of June to check on the kidney, that I should also have the tech take another look at the placenta just to make sure all is well.
Of course, the fact that the baby is doing well is the best news of the week. But, there is more good news. I figured out how to control my heartburn! My doctor had told me to take Pepcid for heartburn. I tried that. Whenever I got heartburn, I would take my Pepcid...and nothing would change. My throat and chest would still be on fire. Then it hit me that I was taking the Pepcid to correct the problem, instead of preventing it. So, earlier this week, I tried taking it first thing in the morning. It worked! I didn't get heartburn until really late that night. The next day, I didn't get it at all. I'm sure the Pepcid is what's making the difference because I forgot to take it today, and the heartburn is back. I won't forget again!
Finally, I want to thank all of the people who have helped me through my week of being sad over my weight. Hearing that I "look cute" and that I am "all belly" has helped me to feel better about myself, and I appreciate it.
And now, the weekly pictures (I messed up this week. I took the pictures on my camera's hard drive instead of the SD card, and I can't transfer them to the computer, so this is as good as they get.):


4 comments:
Well...I think you're looking great!!!
Thank you, Mom! :-)
Yeah, you are TOTALLY all belly! Also, the DJs on WMEE were doing experiments with pregnant women this week. They heard that if a pregnant woman pees in a cup and then mixes Drano crystals in her pee (or has someone else do it), she will find out the gender of her baby. Apparently the pee either turns really dark or really light. One means boy and one means girl... I forget which is which. You should do it since you don't know what you are having and then we'll see after baby is born if it worked! :o)
First of all, thanks Shannon!
Scott's mom did the Drano test with him, and it turned out to be right. I'll have to give it a try...as soon as I figure out what each color change means. His mom can't remember either. :-)
Post a Comment