In my education classes, I was taught the "sandwich method" to properly deal with parents. You start with something positive about the child, then talk about the issue that you are having, and end with something positive. I can think of no better method to use to describe my feelings on my thirtieth birthday.
I have so many great people in my life, and I am so thankful for all of them. They have truly done their part to make turning 30 wonderful. They let me know how great my life is. In order to properly "sandwich," I'll save the specifics for the end of this post.
Now for the issue(s). Sorry if I ramble a bit here.
I hated high school. Not for the academic part, but for the social part. I never fit in there, and I couldn't wait to get out. This birthday has been a bit of a reminder of that experience. It's been a reminder that I still don't quite fit in. And I thought I did. I thought I had made some really good friends as an adult. I have; but not as many as I thought. I was reminded of that this week, and it really hurts. I know it shouldn't bother me. I know I should focus on the many great friends that I do have. For the most part, I do. But this is my place to vent, so I am. I know that my blog is on Facebook, and people can find me pretty easily. I guess I'm just past the point of caring.
And speaking of Facebook, that's another thing that is bothering me tonight. I feel like unfriending a bunch of people. Since people can read this, I'm not going to go into detail on that, but it makes me wonder why some wanted to be my friend in the first place. For me, Facebook is a reminder of high school, and how easy it is to ignore me. Not a good feeling. Especially today.
But enough of the bad. It's time for the other piece of bread. I have a wonderful husband. He's planned a party for me, and I appreciate all of the work he has put into it. He's sick today, but he's still doing what he can to make my birthday special. He still managed to get me a present, wrap it, and sit up a little to watch me open it. :-) I may not "fit" everywhere, but I do fit with him, and I'm very lucky to have him.
My family is also wonderful. My first phone call of the day came from them. My middle nephew was pretty tired, and he doesn't like to talk on the phone, but he told me happy birthday. My oldest nephew was a little more excited. He SCREAMED "happy birthday" into the phone. Then said, "you're really going to like this one...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" My youngest nephew is a little too young to tell me happy birthday, but I like to think he was wishing me well, too. My mom, dad, and brother also talked to me for a little while to wish me happy birthday.
I have several great coworkers. My best guy friend (aside from Scott) wished me happy birthday right away this morning. He then told a few of my students to make sure they did the same (they later told me this). My teaching team was also great. They got me a birthday card, and we are going out for a birthday breakfast tomorrow morning. This is my first year with this team, so it's nice to know that they've accepted me so quickly as "one of them." The other woman on my team also helped some of our students to make a birthday banner for me, and then I heard "happy birthday" from about 100 kids today. They really are so sweet.
Best of all was my friend, Liana. She's the first friend I met when I came to this area, and she is truly one of the best people I know. She goes out of her way to make everyone feel special, but always makes it seem effortless. I remember my first year at Clay. She arranged for a group of us to go out to lunch together. I don't know if she knew it at the time or not, but I was a little upset about being away from my family on my birthday. It was the first time that I had ever not seen someone from my family on my actual birthday, and I was kind of dreading it. I hadn't met Scott yet, so I was thinking that there would be no celebration. Liana helped to make my birthday special, even though we'd only known each other a short time. Staying true to form, Liana made this birthday special, too. She got me a birthday cake and offered to help with the party this weekend in any way that she can. She is truly a great friend, and I do appreciate her.
Finally, I am thankful for all of the cards, texts, wall-posts, phone calls, and other birthday greetings that I got. It's always great to know that others are thinking of me. It makes me feel important and loved, and that's always a good feeling. So, thank you, to my true friends. You're the best!
Kucoin better than Binance? Honest opinion
11 months ago

2 comments:
sounds like the party made up for all the "other stuff" You know, anytime you want to vent about this, that, or another, i am just a phone call away! or an hours drive and we meet in the middle....seriously, would love to do that sometime!
Yes, the party definitely made the birthday better. And I will be sure to call you next time I am upset. As my "old friend" :-) I know you've been there. I'll be sure to give you a call to meet up sometime. An hour is definitely doable. Thanks!
Post a Comment