Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Christmas 1985 (Give or Take a Year)

I believe the year was 1985.  If not, it was close.  I had just turned six (or so), and Christmas presents were starting to be wrapped at our house.  Some were under the tree.  Some were still in other rooms of the house.  One day, Brandon and I were playing in his room, and I saw a present in his room.  I asked who it was for, and he told me it was mine.   I started to tease Brandon and act like I was going to peek and see what it was.  Little did I know, he didn't tape it very well.  (I don't know what I expected from an eight-year-old.  This is probably why I would come to be his official gift-wrapper in later years.)  I lifted up a piece of the wrapping paper, and although the present stayed wrapped, I was able to see what was inside.  It was an outfit for one of my Cabbage Patch dolls.

I still remember the feeling I got that day.  I was devastated!  I cried to my mom that I didn't mean to look; it was just supposed to be a joke.  I felt like Christmas was ruined.  I knew there would be other Christmas surprises, but part of the excitement was gone.  Part of the anticipation had disappeared.

Over the years, there have been other presents that I have had to find out because of certain circumstances, and I've found that this happens more and more as an adult.  But, there is one thing that I can choose to make a surprise.  To me, our baby is like the ultimate Christmas present.  I love trying to guess what it might be, but I want that "Christmas morning" moment when I'm told what my child is on its birthday.  I love the feeling of that anticipation building as each day goes by.

When Scott and I were engaged, we were talking about someone we knew who was having a baby.  I said something about it being a boy, and Scott said, "I think I wouldn't want to know."  I was so happy!  We didn't have to have the debate about finding out or not finding out.  We were completely on the same page.  And now that it our baby is a reality, we are still on the same page.  We will find out what our baby is on the day it is born.

Of course, this brings up questions.  My students have already asked them.

How will we know which stroller, high chair, etc. to get?

We plan on having more than one child.  Even if we knew what this baby was, we wouldn't know what the other(s) would be.  Since we are going to reuse the stroller, high chair, etc. with each child, we would get neutral things even if we did know what we are having.

But the nursery?  Come on, how can you not decorate the nursery for your baby?

One of our bedrooms is right next to our bedroom.  This bedroom will be the nursery, and it will stay the nursery for our future child/children.  So, again, it will be a gender-neutral room.  When this baby is ready to move into a big-kid bed, he or she will get a new bedroom, and that room will be decorated specifically for that child.

And what about clothes?

I have gotten some neutral stuff to start us out.  I will get a few cute outfits for each gender as it gets closer to the baby's birthday.  When the baby is born, I'll take back whichever clothes I don't need.  Besides, stocking up may not help.  Our baby will probably be small (it's already measuring small), but you never know.  One person I talked to recently said her kids were so big that they wore 6-month clothes pretty much right from the start.  She had to take back all of the clothes she got and get new ones.  So, I'm not too worried about the clothes either.  It will all work out.

I'm sorry this post is so long.  I didn't intend for it to be.  I'll leave you with some 15-week belly shots.





And an up-close of the belly bump.




See you next week!